(Updated with weekend actuals)
1. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles $65.6M
2. Guardians of the Galaxy $42.1M
3. Into The Storm $17.3M
4. The Hundred-Foot Journey $10.9M
5. Lucy $9.5M
Unfortunate timing turtles. On the heels of the uber-gargantuan Guardians of the Galaxy, Paramount's reboot of those masked weapon-wielding reptiles, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, drops this weekend and the Michael Bay-produced soulless sensory assault could suffer some serious shell shock (as if I could resist). Competing for the same family and fanboy audiences, Turtles will likely take on water in Guardians' wake, especially with the latter's superb word of mouth — Paramount execs peeved they didn't pick the July 18th or 25th weekends for release, before Guardians blasted off.
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles $50.5M (↓) Gen Y's stoked, their mobilization keys success — or lack thereof.
- Guardians of the Galaxy $45.5M - Buzz + WOM = strong hold. On track for biggest opening week by comic book movie this year.
- Into The Storm $13M (↑) - One mess of a movie – both literally and figuratively – though could surprise.
- Step Up All In $9.75M (↔) - Is this the 17th or 18th sequel?
- The Hundred-Foot Journey $9.25M - Geriatric crowd has new summertime option.