1. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles $28.4M
2. Guardians of the Galaxy $24.7M
3. Let's Be Cops $17.7M
4. The Expendables 3 $16.2M
5. The Giver $12.8M
Outperform. That word sums up August to a proverbial "t" with both Guardians of the Galaxy and TMNT pushing well past what most prognosticators – not named Final Cut on Film – pegged for their debut frames. And here we are again this weekend, staring at a possible three-peat in the upset department with The Expendables 3 and its army of super-old action heroes taking aim at a bigger-than-expected bow. While we're not getting nutty and tossing out a number like $40M+, we'll take the line at $30M thanks to the addition of Mr. Lunatic himself: Mel Gibson.
- The Expendables 3 $30M (↑) - Gibson ups interest level substantially over last go-round.
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles $27M - WOM weak, staring at sophomore drop of around -60%.
- Guardians of the Galaxy $22.25M - Crosses the $200M mark stateside late Thursday/early Friday.
- Let's Be Cops $20.5M (↑) - Idiotic comedy could surprise, all bets off.
- The Giver $14M (↔) - In the realm of dystopian YA novel adaptations, it's The Host, not Divergent.