1. Maleficent $70M
2. X-Men: Days of Future Past $32.6M
3. A Million Ways to Die in the West $17.1M
4. Godzilla $12.2M
5. Blended $8.4M
Quick, name Angelina Jolie's biggest box office hit. Yep, Mr. & Mrs. Smith holds the title from way back in 2005. Since that time Ms. Pitt has served up some fairly successful outings such as Wanted and Salt, but she's never opened a movie higher than $51M — ever. That will change this weekend with the arrival of the Mouse House's Sleeping Beauty remix, Maleficent, a movie the 38-year-old positively owns, seizing the screen with her CGI-enhanced cheekbones, toying with her overmatched castmates, saving what is otherwise a wholly-forgettable film. With family auds jonesing for something to see, look for a bow north of $60M.
- Maleficent $63M (↑) - Feasts on those families who've been served nothing since Rio 2 some seven weeks ago.
- X-Men: Days of Future Past $37.25M - Won't suffer Godzilla-sized sophomore drop but should approach -60% nonetheless.
- A Million Ways to Die in the West $25M (↓) - Seth MacFarlane's on-cam future hangs in the balance in a Western no less. Best of luck with that.
- Godzilla $14M - Stomps past $400M worldwide this weekend and that's without China and Japan.
- Neighbors $8.5M - Zac Efron and his abs o' steel surpass $200M worldwide this weekend.