Friday, November 15, 2013
The Projector: Perfunctory Placeholder Edition UPDATE
Monday UPDATE UPDATE: Well looky here, the actuals reveal we nailed Thor's sophomore drop to within $100K (in truth, $86K). Get Vegas on the line.
1. Thor: The Dark World $36.6M
2. The Best Man Holiday $30.1M
3. Last Vegas $8.4M
4. Free Birds $8.1M
5. Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa $7.4M
Sunday UPDATE: Wild card it was. Christmas came early for Universal as their prudently-budgeted sequel The Best Man Holiday blew past expectations behind a flood of females, with 75% of the seats occupied by the fairer sex. Thor's sophomore stanza took its anticipated dive (-55%), though the plunge wasn't quite as precipitous as those experienced by his fellow comic book chums Superman (-65%) and Wolverine (-60%) this past summer.
1. Thor: The Dark World $38.5M
2. The Best Man Holiday $30.6M
3. Last Vegas $8.9M
4. Free Birds $8.3M
5. Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa $7.7M
Zzzz. This is one of those dreadfully dull weekends at the box office — a placeholder stanza with one new wide offering ahead of Katniss' second archery assault, seven days from now. That's all I have and frankly that's all the analysis it deserves.
1. Thor: The Dark World $36.5M – Crossed the $100M mark stateside Tuesday with an additional $240M overseas.
2. The Best Man Holiday $19.5M (↑) – Wild card release looks to cash in with the date night crowd.
3. Free Birds $8.25M – Shockingly watchable animated turkey continues to feast on families.
4. Last Vegas $7.75M – Chugging along with the elder crowd, closing in on $50M.
5. Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa $5.75M – Has outside shot of hitting $100M stateside.