Friday, November 1, 2013
The Projector: Bomb Squad Edition UPDATE
Monday's UPDATE UPDATE: Worse than After Earth. Lionsgate's overestimation of Sunday's sum kept Ender's Game clear of that dubious distinction but there's no disguising it now. Up against Thor's mighty hammer this weekend, expect the YA cinematic adaptation to be smashed into oblivion.
1. Ender's Game $27M
2. Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa $20M
3. Last Vegas $16.3M
4. Free Birds $15.8M
5. Gravity $12.8M
Sunday UPDATE: Meh. That's as glowing as it gets for Ender's Game, which didn't totally tank, though its $28M estimated haul (Monday's actual number will undoubtedly be lower) is a whopping $500K greater than the debut of the Smith's interplanetary disaster After Earth and a scant $2M less than Disney's much-bandied-about-bomb John Carter. In the realm of YA book adaptations, it's slotted between The Host and The Hunger Games — whoop-de-do.
1. Ender's Game $28M
2. Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa $20.5M
3. Last Vegas $16.5M
4. Free Birds $16.2M
5. Gravity $13.1M
Assemble the bomb squad. Despite Lionsgate's furious promotional efforts, Ender's Game sputters into theaters this weekend, facing the very real danger of crashing to Earth. Tagged with zero buzz and tepid reviews, the cinematic adaptation of the bestselling book could be on the precipice of joining 2013's lengthy list of duds like After Earth and R.I.P.D.
1. Ender's Game $25M (↓) – Harrison Ford can rest easy knowing no outcome can prove more disastrous than Paranoia.
2. Free Birds $19M (↑) – Second-rate animated turkey looks to score with desperate parents.
3. Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa $14.5M – Strong debut, sizable sophomore drop for Johnny Knoxville in his grandpa getup.
4. Last Vegas $13.5M (↔) – Should work wonders with the geriatric crowd.
5. Gravity $13M – Crossed the $200M domestic mark Monday.