Friday, September 27, 2013
The Projector: All You Can Eat Edition UPDATE
1. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 $34M
2. Prisoners $10.9M
3. Rush $10M
4. Baggage Claim $9M
5. Don Jon $8.7M
Sunday UPDATE: All you can eat it was not. Flint Lockwood's second cinematic outing was a supersized disappointment for Sony as Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 left at least $10M on the plate, failing to draw family auds en masse, even with a dearth of options over the past few months. To give you some idea of how weak its debut was, another late-September Sony animated offering, Hotel Transylvania, had a +$4K per-theater average just last year, a non-sequel no less. As for the rest of the weekend's newbies, Ron Howard's Rush stalled out, Joseph Gordon-Levitt's Don Jon went limp, with only Baggage Claim exceeding expectations.
1. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 $35M
2. Prisoners $11.3M
3. Rush $10.3M
4. Baggage Claim $9.3M
5. Don Jon $9M
87 days. That's how long it's been since the last tentpole animated offering, Despicable Me 2, a flick that's racked up a colossal $850M worldwide. While you're certainly free to argue Turbo and Planes superseded the Minions, neither of those surpassed the $90M mark stateside — the Minions they were not. And now, after some three months of essentially dead animated air, we get the sequel to a film that's become a cult-ish classic in the four years since it debuted, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2. With kids jonesing for something to do aside from homework, the uninspired return of Flint Lockwood should scarf up supersized cash.
1. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 $50M – Opening at some 4,000 theaters, we'll be talking new September record come Monday morn.
2. Prisoners $13.5M – Look for a scant 33% drop in its second frame as strong WOM buoys business.
3. Rush $12.5M – Does Chris Hemsworth have pull at the box office if not wielding a hammer?
4. Don Jon $12M – My fave comedy of 2013 has date movie written all over it — yes, even with its sordid subject matter.
5. Baggage Claim $6.5M – Luggage lost.