1. Elysium $30.5M
2. We're The Millers $26.6M ($38.1M 5-day)
3. Planes $22.5M
4. Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters $14.6M ($23.4M 5-day)
- Elysium $32M - Matt Damon is in desperate need of a hit. Not since his final outing as Jason Bourne – some six years ago – has the Bostonian broken the $100M mark at the box office. His last outing, the fracking-fail Promised Land, deposited a diminutive $7.5M.
- Planes $24M - Produced as a direct-to-DVD project (the lackluster quality of its animation confirms that fact), the Mouse House decided to shift the Cars knockoff to a theatrical release and cash in ahead of the back-to-school dash.
- We're the Millers $22M - Those Horrible Bosses, Jennifer Aniston and Jason Sudeikis reteam for the R-rated road-trip laugher that bowed to a big $6.8M Wednesday.
- Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters $19.5M - The middle-school set's mildly stoked for the bestselling book series' second cinematic chapter.
- 2 Guns $14M - The dynamic-duo actioner has performed more like a mid-September release than an early-August one.