1. The Butler $25M
2. We're the Millers $17.8M
3. Elysium $13.6M
4. Kick-Ass 2 $13.6M
5. Planes $13.1M
– Jobs $6.7M
– Paranoia $3.5M
Spandex-clad superheroes versus a self-made server. That's the battle at the box office this weekend with Kick-Ass 2 taking on The Butler in a clash of wildly dissimilar flicks — like you needed me to inform you of that. Fanboys will flock to the former, a more learned crowd to the latter as adults begin claiming seats at the cineplex as we're taking the sickening sequel to win by a skosh.
1. Kick-Ass 2 $22M (↔) - Anything under $20M – what the 2010 original banked in its opening frame – will be a disappointment for Universal.
2. The Butler $21.5M (↑) - Oprah's involvement = priceless.
3. We're the Millers $16M - Strong hold for Jen & Jason's road-trip raunchfest.
4. Elysium $13M - 60%+ drop could be in the cards.
5. Planes $13M - Has the family market to itself.
6. Jobs $9M (↔) - The parallel Apple product: Pippin.
7. Paranoia $5M (↓) - Featured attraction at your local cardio theater this fall.