Sunday UPDATE: Fox execs are thanking their lucky stars for those overseas markets. While The Wolverine didn't exactly shred things to pieces stateside in its debut frame, the clawed mutant carved up some hefty cash across the pond – $85.3M – for a worldwide gross of $140.3M — $20M more than its reported budget. A helpful reminder of the now über importance of international locales.
1. The Wolverine $55M
2. The Conjuring $22M
3. Despicable Me 2 $16M
4. Turbo $13.3M
5. Grown Ups 2 $11.5
Summer's over. While the calendar reads late July, the arrival of The Wolverine signals the end of Hollywood's tentpole season — praise the Lord. Aside from a somewhat-intriguing Elysium, a glance at the upcoming schedule reveals nothing of significance ahead, as kids – and parents – begin focusing on a return to the classroom. Hugh Jackman's
1. The Wolverine $67M (↔) - Removing the instant download option was a brilliant business decision by Fox.
2. The Conjuring $22M - Doubled its budget in its debut frame as the WB fast-tracks the sequel.
3. Despicable Me 2 $13.5M - Topped Turbo in its third weekend with $600M banked worldwide.
4. Turbo $11.5M - Release date nightmare – on the heels of Monsters University and a still-kicking-it DM2 – leads to worst animated opening since 2006's Monster House.
5. Grown Ups 2 $9.5M - Will be right at the $100M mark Sunday.