It was nearly four years ago that Liam Neeson's career got a major - and massively unexpected - upgrade. The looked-like-a-throwaway project Taken hit multiplexes and went on to bank $226M worldwide. From that moment, Neeson wasn't the sideshow, he was the main eventer - since headlining films like Unknown and The Grey. The now 60-year-old returns to the role that began his road to mega-riches with Taken 2. And while it's one of the most laughable "thrillers" you'll ever see, the sequel's guaranteed to crush some massive cash at the box office.
- Taken 2 $46M - Money estimates range from the mid-30s to the upper 40s, I'll take the higher end of that range but wretched word of mouth is going to mitigate the profits beyond opening weekend.
- Hotel Transylvania $24M -Went off for a new September record and as Halloween closes in, it could hold stronger than my number.
- Frankenweenie $19M - While it oozes cred with the name Tim Burton attached, the pieced together pooch will suffer from Hotel Transylvania's staying power.
- Pitch Perfect $12M - Expands to 2700+ theaters after killing it to the tune of over $5M in just 335 locations last weekend.
- Looper $11.5M - Outperformed opening weekend but did fanboys inflate the take to the point that its second weekend falls more precipitously than anticipated?