It's a crucial weekend for the woman photoshopped between the two dudes in pinstriped suits. Reese Witherspoon is in dire need of boffo box office for 'This Means War'. The 35-year-old's last rom-com, 'How Do You Know' was an unmitigated disaster as it's now been over three years since Reese's last $100M+ movie (that stretch would be extended to six if not for having Vince Vaughn as a co-star/headliner).
- Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance ($38M) - The flaming-headed chopper-rider raked $115M five years ago and Nic Cage is now back to cash a huge paycheck for reading his lines in near comatose-fashion.
- This Means War ($25M) - Can the former golden girl bounce back to prove she is a bankable A-lister? Witherspoon has a couple of rising stars alongside in Captain Kirk (Chris Pine) and Bane (Tom Hardy) and 20th Century Fox has busted the marketing budget but are audiences clamoring for 'Mr. and Mr. and Mrs. Smith'?
- Safe House ($21M) - Denzel Washington has proved to be the ultimate A-lister again - he's now opened 9 of his last 10 movies over $20M.
- The Vow ($20M) - Should be a solid hold for the amnesia-plagued McAdams and her ever-loving Tatum. After amassing $42M opening weekend, the movie banked a titanic $11M on Valentine's Day.
- Journey 2: The Mysterious Island ($17M) - The Rock's pecs proving to be irresistible in 3D.
- The Secret World of Arrietty - Disney scooped up the Japanese sensation and has promoted it to the nines - could be a sleeper hit in semi-limited release.
- Coriolanus - Seek out Ralph Fiennes directoral debut, it's the finest film of 2012 thus far.