How jacked-up was last weekend's BO take? No one - not even Paramount - dreamed 'The Devil Inside' would demonize $34M in its opening stanza. Never underestimate the teen moviegoer's taste - no matter how atrocious it may be.
- Beauty and the Beast 3D ($17M) - Disney crushed it with 'The Lion King 3D' ($94M total take) - setting up a litany of Mouse House 3D re-releases. While it won't do Simba's numbers - BATB should score some respectable cash from parents looking to get the little ones out of the house.
- Contraband ($15M) - Best to go back to 'Shooter' to try to gauge how this Marky Mark outing will go - that flick opened to $14M some four years ago - no reason to expect anything different from this generic thriller.
- Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol ($13M) - Cruise and company have now cleared $174M domestically - a MI5 is a lock.
- The Devil Inside ($10M) - Expect a 70% drop in business after the brutally bad word-of-mouth spread - rated amongst the worst Cinemascores ever - an 'F'.
- Joyful Noise ($8M) - Set to become Dolly Parton's biggest movie since '9 to 5' - also her only movie since '9 to 5'.
- The Iron Lady ($6M) - Opening wide on 800+ screens, Meryl Streep's incandescent performance and guaranteed Golden Globe trophy will help this gem do quite nicely over the next month.
(3-day takes - Monday not included)